Wednesday, August 25, 2010

One day down

Well the first day with the kids is done....179 more to go. It wasn't so bad. It was a little hectic. I still don't why people wait until the last minute to register their children. I have 3 kids to do schedules for today who showed up yesterday. Seriously, do parents not know the importance of the first day of school?

Today I plan on wearing my tennis shoes since I did a lot of running around yesterday. I did so much running around I was too tired to do any official walking last night. I did do my laundry and that means up and down the stairs quite a few times. I kept moving but I need to do something to keep my heart rate up for an extended period of time to help burn those calories. :)

I wanted to share some discoveries. One is a food I discovered. I was shopping at Publix last week and this young girl was sharing a sample of some Mexican treats. I tried a corn pancake with white cheese on it. My first thought was "how fattening is this?" When I tasted it and it was moist and creamy I knew it had to be like a million calories. So, I closed my eyes and flipped over the package to the corn pancakes sitting on her counter. I slowly opened one eye and peaked at the nutritional info. Wow! It wasn't fattening at all. Sure it has some calories but not too many per portion. I read the ingredients and it was just corn, flour and corn syrup (I know there are a couple of other ingredients but I can't remember). Then comes the cheese. I knew this is where the fat has to come into play since it was a creamy cheese. I did the whole eye process again (by this this time the young girl thinks I am just a crazy old lady....I'm a teacher so I am used to it). Actually it wasn't so fattening and it was low in sodium. Score!

I bought a package of each before I left. It was a little expensive but then again I am at Publix. Next time I will look in a Spanish store. A whole pancake and 2 oz of cheese is 350 calories and I eat it as a meal....normally breakfast. So, check out corn pancakes and the cheese is queso de mesa.

My next discovery is eating food. I read an article that you should not watch tv or doing anything while eating. It is proven that most people eat more when they are distracted. I agree when it comes to snacks. However, I like the distraction when I am eating my meals. It makes me take my time and I eat slower. I make sure I put down the fork between bites. I make sure everything in my mouth is chewed and swallowed before putting more food on my fork. It's those little things that help you eat less. It lets your brain to catch up with your stomach or vice versa.

I am off to handle day two!

Blog out!

No comments:

Post a Comment